We’re continuing our series of interviews at Clothed In Scarlet in anticipation of the launch of 4 Weeks to Sell Your First Product Online on January 28th. Today you will be listening to my interview with Jolene Engle and be inspired to follow God’s vision to create your own product from scratch.
Jolene has been a great source of encouragement to me in both marriage and ministry for more than a year now. Her desire is to pour Christ into the hearts of women by writing about marriage, singleness, motherhood, ministry, and growing in Christ. She empowers women spiritually through her website JoleneEngle.com, so they can in turn, pour Jesus into the lives of those around them.
Jolene has self-published two books till date. In the book, Wives of the Bible, Jolene shares 25 lessons we can learn from imperfect women from the Bible that will radically transform our marriages. In her other eBook, How to Create a Christ-Centered Christmas for Your Kids, Jolene shares interactive, Christ-centered activities and traditions to help strengthen our children’s faith during the Christmas season.
In our interview today, Jolene shares a whole lot her faith and how God led her to write and minister to women. Due to some technical difficulties, I was unable to get the video for this interview.
You can listen to the audio interview below:
Major Takeaways from the Interview:
- We began the interview with Jolene sharing how God nudged her to write a book; her advice to other reluctant writers is to follow God’s leading.
- Jolene spoke about how she chose to self-publish rather than go the traditional publishing route. She also shared how she wanted potential customers to have a variety of book formats to choose from: PDF, Kindle and Paperback.
- Jolene mentioned the struggles she faced in getting her book published as a paperback through CreateSpace, and how the freedom she felt as a self-published author was totally worth the trouble she had gone through.
- We discussed the importance of not being entirely data-driven with regard to book sales, but give it our all and trust God for the results.
- Jolene described the components of her book’s lead page which included individual buttons for each book format, and a video.
- Jolene’s advice to first-time authors is to have a margin – the time between when the book is written and when it is ready to be sold. She warns about the time it takes for a manuscript to move from the author, to the cover designer, to the publishing platform and then to the marketer.
Resources Mentioned in the Interview:
The winner of our Faith Leaps Giveaway is Justina. Congratulations, Justina! Please be on the lookout for an email from us.
And Now for Today’s Giveaway!
Jolene has graciously agreed to give away a copy of her eBook, Wives of the Bible to one of you.
Here are the details of the giveaway:
- The winner will receive a PDF copy of the eBook, Wives of the Bible.
- The giveaway runs from 21st January 2014 to 26th January 2014.
- The winner will be contacted by email within 48 hours after the giveaway ends.
- The winner must respond within 48 hours of the email notification or new winner will be picked.
Enter the giveaway below!